You’re not the only ones who strongly believe in the power of email marketing to convey your client’s messages. A new survey conducted among some of the most important enterprises in the USA says that email marketing is the direct response media used most (35%). And of those who haven’t yet used it, 22% plan to test it in the next 12 months.
This survey was conducted by the American direct marketing agency Direct Partners which counts Sony, Lexus and Pedigree among its clients.
Here are some highlights from the survey:
– Which type of direct response media is primarily used/plans to be used in the next 12 months?
- 35% use email/22% plan to use email in the next 12 months
- 25% use direct mail/12% plan to use it in the next 12 months
- 21% use freestanding inserts/13% plan to use it in the next 12 months
Email domination will be even greater.
– Where is direct marketing handled?
- 50% Internally
- 37% Combination of internally and agencies
- 7% Direct Agency
- 6% General agency
Are agencies missing an opportunity to build a real marketing plan with email marketing?
– What is the biggest concern regarding direct response campaigns?
- 28% Cost per response
- 28% Quality of response
- 25% Tracking & analyzing results
A-ha! Agencies should be the ones knowledgeable enough to solve those issues!
Of these enterprises, 82% market to their current customer database and 68% market to their prospect database (17% don’t even have a prospect database). Twenty-one per cent have more then 1 million records in their combined databases.
Eighty per cent said they will have a similar or larger budget for direct marketing next year. Almost half (47%) said they allocate less then 10% of their marketing budget for direct marketing.
In April 2008, the survey was sent to more then 30,000 senior executives at U.S. companies with revenues exceeding $100 million in 2007. (The results do not mention the number of companies that actually responded to the survey.) You can download the Direct Partners survey results in PDF here.